Wurlitzer  |  Style EX  |  1928  |  2/10  |  4 Tuned Percussion  |  9 Traps  |  815 Pipes
Bardavon Console Center
Bardavon Console side L
Bardavon Console side R
Bardivon Stage
Marquee

The Bardavon Opera House

ABOUT THE ORGAN

From the time of its installation in 1928, the Wurlitzer pipe organ played an essential role in the Bardavon’s offerings, whether to accompany early silent films or enhance its musical palette. However, in the 1960’s, it was removed and taken to a private home in Scarsdale, NY. A decade later, the organ was trucked back once more to Poughkeepsie, and unceremoniously placed in storage to await an uncertain future.

In 1983, New York Theatre Organ Society (NYTOS) uncovered this significant piece of the Bardavon’s history, bought it, and in 1985 forged an agreement with the Bardavon for permanent re-installation under NYTOS’ ownership. The community rallied once again and fundraising for the restoration process began. NYTOS spent tens of thousands of dollars, and an almost equal number of volunteer work hours, restoring this magnificent instrument. In September 1990, the Bardavon’s “Golden Voice“ was brought home. Her return placed the Bardavon on par with Radio City Music Hall as one of the few remaining New York theaters to still have its original pipe organ in place.

Times change, technology changes. Organists began asking for more features and thus a new specification was created. Subsequent additional funding and volunteer labor brought the organ up to its current condition. In the first renovation the original relay or “control system” was replaced with a more reliable, useful, and expandable electronic system. Thus, the organ’s seven sets (ranks) of pipes, were increased to 10, and many more features and sound effects were added.

However, all sounds – with two small exceptions - are still acoustically and mechanically air pressure-operated, driven by a 5-horsepower blower located in the theater’s upper reaches. With it’s musical core intact, the Mighty Wurlitzer and its place in history live on!

TONAL ANALYSIS

ABOUT THE THEATRE

The Bardavon 1869 Opera house has the distinction of being one of the oldest theatres continually operating in the State of New York. It was built in 1869 as the Collingwood Opera House, and after renovations in 1923 continued its life as a movie theatre.   Slated for demolition in 1975, the theatre was saved and purchased in 1979 through civic efforts, and reopened as a performing arts center featuring a resident symphony orchestra. The theatre's original 2/7 Style E (divided) Wurlitzer, although removed in the early 1960's, was located, purchased, restored, and reinstalled by the New York Theatre Organ Society. The organ is featured in many of the Bardavon's shows. For information on current shows at the Bardavon visit their web site at www.bardavon.org.

  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Instagram - White Circle
  • SoundCloud - White Circle
  • YouTube - White Circle
  • Twitter - White Circle

© 2020 New York Theatre Organ Society